Sunday, September 21, 2008

40 Glorious Years

When looking for my soul mate, I always wanted the fairy tale. I wanted to know right away that he was the one. I was looking for a love that would last forever. I guess every girls does but I had a lot to live up to. You see my parents are the fairy tale they live the dream. Forty years ago today, they made a commitment to love, honor and cherish each other so long as they both shall live and they've made that commitment to one another a beautiful life.
Over forty years ago, my Dad was looking at high school head shot pictures in the wallet of my Mom's friend and said, "I have to meet her - that's the girl I'm going to marry." The mutual friend arranged the meeting. They had their first date and both "knew". If you ask either of them when did you first realize that you wanted to marry Mom/Dad? - they would both say that very first date. Less than a year after their first date they were married at Holy Rosary Church in Passaic, NJ with the reception being held in Aunt Dot's backyard. My Mom was just 18 and my Dad was 20.
They have been through some ups and downs. I'm sure some that I am not privy too but I know one thing is true their love has never wavered. They are an inspiration. The type of marriage all should aspire to be like. I am proud to be a product of this beautiful union. I am so blessed to have been raised by parents that love and respect one another and give real meaning to the term soul mate.
When my Dad is asked how long they have been married he alwasy says the amount and with the descriptor "glorious." So today, on their 40th Anniversary I want to say here is to 40 more glorious years of inspirational love.

No comments: