Saturday, September 6, 2008

One Gift



What do you give to the parents who have given you everything in life? A gift that will show them they mean the world to you. Well, I can tell you there aren't many gifts that even come close.

Over the years, I have tried to give them gifts that have given them an idea of how much they mean to me, but most fall short until June 06. In June of 2006, I gave them the promise of the greatest gift (I know they will agree) they would ever receive. You see on that beautiful sunny day, I gave them the news that they would be grandparents. Because that is the thing about being a grandparent - no matter how much you want to be one, it, ultimately, depends on two other people (in our case a whole cast of very able medical professionals) and the grace of God. It is a gift only your child can give to you -- the greatest gift your child can give to you.

My parents have always been proud of me but I never saw them look at me in such awe and admiration as when I was pregnant caring inside of me their grandchild. And when their grandchild was finally born, the sheer joy I brought to my parents life could never be measured.

Benjamin is the light of their lives. It is one time I don't mind playing second fiddle for my parents' attention. When I see my parents with Benjamin, it brings me back to my childhood and reminds me again and again how much love my parents brought into my life. They are the best of the best and even better. They love my son with all their hearts and then some.
Much of who Benjamin is becoming is because of their love for their grandson. When he is in their presence, nothing else in the world matters. Benjamin laughs and laughs when he is with his Grandma and Grandpa because when they are together nothing is more important than having fun. Just like my parents would move mountains for my brother and me, my parents would move heaven and earth for their Benjamin. So, on Grandparents Day I know no card or some silly gift will equal the gift I have given them of being called Grandma and Grandpa by one little boy named Benjamin. Happy Grandparents Day!

No comments: